Civil Engineering is one of the branches of engineering. The term engineering is defined as the branch of science and technology that deals with the design, invent, innovate, build, research, systems and maintain. Civil engineering is a branch of engineering that involves planning, designing, construction and maintenance of the physical and naturally built environment. This discipline includes work like construction of bridges, roads and buildings. It is one of the broadest and oldest forms of engineering. Let’s learn something about Civil Engineering Course from here.
Civil engineering branch is divided into several sub-sections including structural engineering, environmental engineering, water resources engineering, materials engineering, coastal engineering, transportation engineering, municipal or urban engineering. Civil engineering takes place in private sectors from individual homeworkers to international companies, and in public sectors from municipal to national governments.
B.E (civil engineering) is a four-year undergraduate program by pursuing this course one can complete their civil engineering course. This engineering degree makes a civil engineer student well qualified and responsible for planning and designing a project, construction of project and maintenance of the project.
B.E (Civil Engineering) Eligibility
Content In This Article
The basic eligibility criteria for this course are qualifying 10+2 examination with maths, physics and chemistry as their core subjects and qualifying the entrance tests conducted in national and state level like AIEEE, BITSAT, EAMCET, etc, conducted by different universities and colleges.
Qualifying the exam JEE (joint entrance exam) conducted by Indian institutes of technology (IITs) in the country. The entrance in IITs is allowed by passing the JEE exam.
Pursuing of this course involves qualifying the 10+2 with good merit and qualifying the entrance tests.
Diploma holders and working people in private, the public sector can avail this course through distance education by clearing the exam conducted by an associate membership of the Institute of engineers (AIMIE).
B.E Civil Engineering Specializations
- Water resource engineering
- Irrigation engineering
- Materials engineering
- Hydraulic engineering
- Bridge engineering
- Construction engineering
- Fire protection engineering
- Environmental engineering
- Transportation engineering
- Piles engineering
- Timber engineering
- Soils and foundation engineering
- Coastal and ocean engineering
- General engineering
- Geotechnical engineering
- Structural engineering
Important Subjects in Civil Engineering
As it is a four year under the graduate program the course is divided into eight semesters. The study of subjects includes mathematics, engineering physics, engineering chemistry, engineering mechanics, humanities, engineering graphics, surveying, basic engineering workshop, computer programming, civil engineering drawing, fluid mechanics, building technology, strength of materials, fluids laboratory, advanced mathematics, transport engineering, building maintenance, architecture and town planning, ground water hydrology, finite element method etc.
B.E Civil Engineering Careers
- After completing bachelor’s degree one can go for their master’s degree in civil engineering like M.E. (civil engineering), M.Phil. (Civil engineering) and a doctorate in civil engineering by pursuing Ph.D.(civil engineering).
- A B.E civil engineer can avail jobs like civil engineer, civil engineer and architect, manager, technical officer, assistant executive engineer (civil), professor, assistant professor, business analyst.
- The employment areas of this engineering degree are the civil engineer, teaching, water resources (public infrastructure), tunnel engineering.
- This degree holder can also involve themselves in research in government and private institutes and services. They also can work as independent consultants.
Top Colleges for Civil Engineering Course
- All eight Indian Institute of technologies (IITs in Bombay, Delhi, Kanpur, Madras, Kharagpur, Roorkee, Guwahati and Banaras)
- Birla Institute of technology and science (BITS-Pilani) located in Rajasthan.
- Delhi technological university located in Delhi.
- National Institute of technology located in Tiruchirappalli.
- National Institute of Technology in Hyderabad.
- Birla Institute of Technology in Patna.
- Motilal Nehru national institute of technology in Uttar Pradesh.
- Anna University located in Tamilnadu.
- Goa College of engineering in Goa.
- Bengal Engineering and Science University in West Bengal.