Power engineering also called as Power Systems Engineering and it is a subfield of electrical engineering that deals with the generation, transmission, utilization and distribution of electric power and electrical apparatus connected to such systems. A power system is the high voltage electrical grid with all components of it like transmission, generation, distribution and protection.
|Useful Links From This Website|
|Notifications, Admit Cards, Results, Universities|
|Books, Exam Pattern, Mock Tests, Study Materials, Syllabus, Test Papers|
Definition of Power System:
Content In This Article
- 1 Definition of Power System:
- 2 Structure of Power System:
- 3 Power Systems Engineering Courses Details:
- 4 Bachelor of Technology Power System Engineering:
- 5 Advanced courses of Power System Engineering:
- 6 Power System Engineering Pdf Details:
- 7 Famous Books and their Authors:
- 8 Job Profiles:
- 9 Salary Packages:
- 10 Top Companies of Power System in India.
The power system is a network which consists generation, distribution and transmission system. It uses various form of energy like coal and diesel etc. and converts it into electrical energy. The power system includes the devices connected to the system like the generator, transformer, conductor, circuit breaker and motor etc.
Structure of Power System:
The power system is the complex enterprise that may be divided into the few sub-systems. Some of the sub-systems of power system are as follows.
- Transmission Substation:
This substation interconnects the two or more generating stations. The neighbouring substations are also interconnected to bulk stations through the transmission lines.
- Distribution Substation:
The component of an electrical power system connecting all the consumers in are to the power sources in a bulk quantity is called a distribution system. The substations distribute the power to the domestic, commercial and relatively small consumers.
- Generating Substation:
In generating station the fuel items like coal, nuclear energy, water etc. are converted into electrical energy. Generating substation is mainly divided into three types they are hydropower plant, thermal power plant and nuclear power plant.
Power Systems Engineering Courses Details:
Bachelor of Technology Power System Engineering:
This course mainly deals with the intersection of electric power, economics and management. This Power Systems Engineering course prepares you for power generation, distribution and power equipment. The students can also switch over to other specializations like energy conservation, renewable energy engineering.
Duration of the course:
Bachelor of Technology in Power system Engineering is a four years duration course.
- The students who have qualified in the 10+2 examinations with physics, chemistry and mathematics subjects are eligible for this course.
- Some reputed colleges conduct entrance examination for admission of the students who want to pursue this B.Tech course.
Advanced courses of Power System Engineering:
- Master of Technology in Power System Engineering
- Master of Engineering in Power System Engineering
- Master of Science in Power System Engineering
Duration of the Courses:
The duration of the master courses is two years.
The students who have completed their under graduation courses in Power System Engineering are eligible for this courses.
Power System Engineering Pdf Details:
The Pdf document of Power system Engineering tells about Fundamentals of Electric Power Systems. The pdf covers the topics are given below.
- Introduction to Electric Power Systems
- Electric Power Generation
- Conventional Power plants
- Nuclear Power Plants
- Wide Energy Generation
- Renewable Power Generation Technologies
- Ocean Energy Generation
- Geothermal Energy
- Benefits of system Interconnection
- About Ultra- High Voltage Power Transmission
- Transmission lines
Famous Books and their Authors:
- Power System Engineering, I.J. Nagarth
- Modern Power System Analysis, D.P Kothari
- Electrical transients in power Systems, Allan Greenwood
- Principles of Power System, V.K Mehta and Rohit Mehta
- Power System Stability and Control, Prabha Kundar
- Power Generation, Operation and Control, Allen Wood, Bruce Wollenberg
- Analysis of Faulted Power Systems, P.M Anderson
- Elements of Power Systems, Soumya Das and Pradeep Kumar Sadhu
Let check out the job profiles of Power System Engineering.
- Power Systems Engineers
- Transmission Planning Engineer
- Electrical Engineer– Aircraft Power Systems
- Associate Distribution Engineer
- Electrical Power Systems Engineer
- Power Systems Engineering Associate
- Power Systems design Engineer
- Lead Thermal Power Engineer
- Senior Fluid Power Systems Engineer
- Power Connector Product Design Engineer
- Power Engineer
- Power Delivery Engineer
- Senior Traction Engineer
The average salary for the fresher Power Engineer is Rs.18k-32k after gaining experienced the engineer can get Rs.25k-45k.
Top Companies of Power System in India.
- Lockheed Martin Corporation
- The Boeing Company
- General Electric
- International Business Machines Corporation (IBM)
- BMW Group
- Shell Oil Company
Also See: Various Engineering Career Options.