In this modern world, everything is based on the use of materials of various types. Actually, “what are materials?” – Materials are the sources for creating objects. We can use various materials for creating or reconstructing an object like automobiles, vehicles, optical fibers for telecommunications and silicon chips for the process of information technology. The science of studying materials is known as Material Science which is helpful to study the relationships between properties and structure of materials. This Material Science is used in the development of nanotechnology, nuclear fusion as well as medical technologies like bone replacement materials. Its scope is extended with the foundations in Physics, Chemistry with different properties like electrical, mechanical and optical properties for designing and manufacturing various applications like metals, alloys, ceramics etc.
|Useful Links From This Website|
|Notifications, Admit Cards, Results, Universities|
|Books, Exam Pattern, Mock Tests, Study Materials, Syllabus, Test Papers|
Material Sciences and Engineering (MSE)
Content In This Article
- 1 Material Sciences and Engineering (MSE)
- 2 Related Courses of MSE
- 3 Material Sciences and Engineering Course Details
- 4 Duration of MSE
- 5 Eligibility Criteria
- 6 Syllabus for MSE
- 7 Reference Books for MSE:
- 8 Colleges for MSE Courses in India:
- 9 Fee Structure
- 10 Career with MSE
- 11 Job Roles
- 12 Placement Organizations
- 13 Salary Packages
- 14 Advanced courses for MSE
The Material Sciences and Engineering (MSE) acts as a medium for the publication of practical and theoretical experimental studies and reviews of electrical, electronic, magnetic, ionic and bio-sensing properties of solid state material in thin, bulk and particulate forms. MSE is one among the bachelor courses which is a study of expanded curriculum of a new series which includes courses focusing on Nanostructure characterization technology, Bio-chips, Imaging and Nano-medicine and Solar Cells, Fuel Cells and Batteries for creation of energy to the materials. Now, let’s view some of the relative courses, course details and career with MSE.
Related Courses of MSE
There are various courses in relation to MSE course in the bachelor degree course either in online or regular. Some of them are as follows:
- Mechanics of Materials
- Kinetic Processes in Materials
- Thermodynamics of Materials
- Electrochemical Processing of Materials
- Nano-mechanics of Materials & Biomaterials
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Properties of Materials
- Fundamentals of Material Sciences and Materials Laboratory etc.
Material Sciences and Engineering Course Details
The Material Sciences and Engineering course details are furnished below which includes course duration, eligibility, fee structure etc.
Duration of MSE
For Bachelor degree, the duration for MSE is 3years, for B. Tech course it may take 4 years, for online courses, the duration is 1 year and also may vary according to the availability of online teaching institutes.
The eligibility criteria for Bachelor MSE course is as follows:
- One should complete his basic graduation (12th).
- They should have Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English as basic stream.
- One should attain 70% in his basic graduation (12th).
- They should qualify in the entrance test which is conducted at both state and national levels.
Syllabus for MSE
The subjects for MSE during their academic year might be as follows:
- Engineering Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Technical English.
- Computer Programming & Engineering Graphics
- Basic Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Engineering Mechanics
- Thermodynamics and Kinetics of Materials, Strength of Materials
- Mechanical Behavior of Materials, Powder Metallurgy
- Theory and Applications of Metal forming, Welding Metallurgy
- Polymer Process Engineering, Industrial Management etc.
Reference Books for MSE:
For the students who pursue their Material Science and Engineering (MSE) course online, the teaching or preparation for MSE course is not enough. In addition, reference of various articles or books by authors might be sufficient to some extent in relation to MSE. These are useful for everyone who pursue MSE course. Let’s go through what are the best books to be referred for this course.
- “Introduction to Material Science for Engineers” – J. F. Shackelford
- “A Textbook of Material Science” – R. K. Rajput
- “Material Science and Engineering” – V. Raghavan
- “Material Science and Metallurgy” – A. V. K. Suryanarayana
- “Mechanics of Materials” – Ferdinand P. Beer etc.
Colleges for MSE Courses in India:
There are various colleges for Material Sciences and Engineering (MSE) courses in and around India. Let’s take a look at the colleges for MSE in India.
- Chandigarh College of Engineering and Technology (CCET), Chandigarh
- Central Institute of Plastics Engineering and Technology (CIPET), Bhopal
- Institute of Technical Education and Research, Orissa
- National Institute of Technology, Himachal Pradesh
- University College of Technology, Andhra Pradesh etc.
The fee allotted for Material Sciences and Engineering (MSE) is as follows:
- For B.E., the fee is Rs.20, 000/- per each semester for 3 years.
- For B. Tech, the fee may be Rs.25, 000/- per each semester for 4 years.
- For online courses, it takes Rs.35, 000/- for one year.
Career with MSE
The scope of career with Material Science and Engineering (MSE) might be good in and around India. The career of MSE consists of job roles, placement areas and salary packages.
Also See: Various Engineering Career Options
The employment under Material Sciences and Engineering (MSE) course consists of various key roles. So let’s look at the job roles under MSE:
- Material Engineer
- Product Developer
- Design Engineer
- Research Analyst
- Sales Executive
- Process Engineer
- System Engineer etc.
The placement organizations for Material Engineers are as follows:
- IISER, Pune
- Deloitte, Andhra Pradesh
- Excess Manpower, Ahmedabad
- Flax Laboratories, Maharashtra
- PSG Institute of Advanced Studies, Tamil Nadu
- Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru etc.
The salary packages under Material Sciences and Engineering (MSE) are based on the skills, performance, experience and qualification of a material engineer. The salary package for the material engineers are as follows:
- For a fresh candidate, the salary package may start from Rs.20, 000/-
- For an experienced candidate, the salary package might be Rs.30, 000/-.
Advanced courses for MSE
There are many advanced courses related to Material Sciences and Engineering (MSE) which is used to acquire more knowledge and attain good career. Now, let’s look over the advanced courses of MSE.
- M.S. in Material Science and Engineering
- M.Sc. Material Sciences and Engineering
- M.Tech. Material Sciences and Engineering
- M.Sc. Materials and Chemical Engineering
- M.Sc. Materials Research etc.