M.Phil full form is Master of Philosophy and this degree offers mainly in streams of Science, arts and humanities. The main goal of the Master of Philosophy or M.Phil. Program is to prepare the students for research programs leading to doctoral degree. After finishing these M.Phil. Programs students normally enroll for a Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy) program. If you want to know the detailed information MPhil Course read this article completely.
|Useful Links From This Website|
|Notifications, Admit Cards, Results, Universities|
|Books, Exam Pattern, Mock Tests, Study Materials, Syllabus, Test Papers|
About Master of Philosophy Course
Content In This Article
The Master of Philosophy is an advanced postgraduate research degree, means it is opted after the completion of master’s degree. In this degree program you have to submit a research paper while pursuing this course. A person may achieve M.Phil degree after a few years of original research. It may also work as a pre-requisite for enrolling for a Ph.D. The M.phil degree has a lesser value compared to a Ph.D. it is most commonly used as a training course in advanced research work and as a stepping stone to Ph.D. program. It studies about the nature of man and ideas in context to a certain field of study.
Philosophy is a comprehensive system of ideas about human nature and the nature of the reality we live in. Master’s degree in philosophy is offered by various institutes in India in a wide variety of subjects ranging from English, mathematics and physics to management. Some of the specializations of MPhil Course are given below.
- Psychiatric Social Work
MPhil Course in Science Stream
Master of Philosophy course is offers on science stream subjects like chemistry, botany, physics, zoology, environment science etc. This program is useful to us to know the information about research work and its related topics. Some of the M.Phil. Courses in Science stream are as follows.
- Master of Philosophy in Physics
- Master of Philosophy in Botany
- Master of Philosophy in Chemistry
- Master of Philosophy in Zoology
- Master of Philosophy in Clinical Psychology
- Master of Philosophy in Environment Science
Generally the duration of Master of Philosophy course is two years.
- Candidates who have completed their master’s degree with science stream in its related subject can apply for this course.
- The candidates need to acquire 55 percent marks in the chosen for M.Phil. Course.
MPhil Course in Arts Stream
M.Phil program offers courses in Arts stream also. These courses mainly focus on many diverse topics relating to humans and their society. And these are provided a platform for students to carry out research in the study of human society, development, and structure. Here we mention some Master of Philosophy courses in Arts stream.
- Master of Philosophy in Sociology
- Master of Philosophy in History
- Master of Philosophy in Fine arts
- Master of Philosophy in Economics
- Master of Philosophy in Geography
- Master of Philosophy in Public Administration
The duration time to complete this MPhil Course is two years.
- Candidates who have qualified in their master’s degree with arts stream in its related subject are eligible for this course.
- Some reputed colleges consider the percentage of the candidates obtained in the post-graduation degree program in that special subject.
- The percentage norm vary from institute to another.
- Some colleges may conduct entrance exams to estimate the students’ knowledge, for the admission of Master degree program.
- NET (National Eligibility Test) and SET (State Eligibility Test) are two entrance exams conducted by the various institutions at national level to pursue Master of Philosophy courses.
Top M.Phil Colleges in India
There are various colleges offers MPhil Course to the students, among them we mention some colleges below for you.
- Christ College, Chennai
- Periyar University, Salem
- Lovely Professional University, Delhi
- Amity University, Jaipur
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Chaudhary Charan Singh University, Meerut
- Andhra University, Visakhapatnam
- Presidency University, Calcutta
- Government College, Kasaragod
- Ranchi University, Ranchi
An M.Phil scholar enhances his knowledge on a particular subject, discovers his area of interest and extracts valuable tips from his guide on that subject. So he can get depth information and gain more knowledge about the subject. A Master of Philosophy holder can work as a research associate, and advisor with companies or organizations. Apart from these, he can be employed in research wings of various government and private institutions and establishments and earn a reasonable income. Changes are also get from foreign universities or organizations to carry out in India or abroad.
Some of the recruitment areas of M.Phil candidates are as follows.
- Educational Institutes
- Scientific Computing
- Law Firms
- Human Services Industry
- Research and Development Institutes
The M.Phil candidates can get job opportunities both in government and privates sector also. Some job roles done them are listed below.
- Teacher/ Lecturer
- Assistant Professor
- Human Services Worker
- Research Analyst