Astronomy is a scientific study of the behavior of celestial bodies of Universe and their phenomena that originate outside the Earth’s surface. Astronomy is concerned with physics, chemistry, applied mathematics, meteorology etc. for the formation and development of the universe. The Astronomers are the people who study about the celestial bodies of the universe perform methodical observations of the night sky and thus find astronomical artifacts of the universe. Astronomy disciplines like astrometry, calendar preparation, astrology, celestial navigation which are often considered as identical to astrophysics. Now, let’s go with various Astronomy Courses Details and its career.
|Useful Links From This Website|
|Notifications, Admit Cards, Results, Universities|
|Books, Exam Pattern, Mock Tests, Study Materials, Syllabus, Test Papers|
Astronomy Courses Details
Content In This Article
- 1 Astronomy Courses Details
- 2 Astronomy Courses after 12th
- 3 Astronomy Degree Courses
- 4 Online degree courses
- 5 Online Degree Colleges
- 6 Astrophysics Courses in India
- 7 Complete Course Details
- 8 Course Duration:
- 9 Eligibility Criteria
- 10 Syllabus of Astronomical Courses
- 11 Astronomy Colleges in India:
- 12 Career with Astronomy Courses:
- 13 Job Roles:
- 14 Salary Packages:
There are various Astronomy Courses for the students to pursue at various levels right from completion of 12th and so on. Let’s view some of the courses of Astronomy at various levels:
Astronomy Courses after 12th
One can pursue these courses right from completion of 12th. Let’s view some of the courses after 12th.
- Bachelor Degree Courses
- Master Degree Courses
- Certification Courses
- Diploma Courses and
- Doctoral Courses
Astronomy Degree Courses
There are various Astronomy Degree Courses in India which includes B.Sc. in Astronomy, B.Sc. in Astrophysics, B. Tech. in Astrophysics and B. Tech. in Astronomy with duration of 3 to 4 years respectively.
Online degree courses
There are various online degree courses for the students who like to pursue Astronomy Courses. Some of them are as follows:
- Physics & Detection Techniques of Extra-solar Planets
- Frontiers and Controversies in Astrophysics
- Solar System Audio Podcasts
- Essential Radio Astronomy
- Stars, Planets and Galaxies
- Astronomy Lecture Series etc.
Online Degree Colleges
The colleges which provide online courses for Astronomy are as follows:
- Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)
- Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Bengaluru
- Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani
- Institute of Fundamental Research, Tamil Nadu
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration, US
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Yale University etc.
Astrophysics Courses in India
There are very limited courses for Astrophysics in India. They are
Diploma in Astronomy & Astrophysics.
- B.Tech. in Astrophysics
- B.Tech in Astronomy
- B.Sc. in Astronomy and
- B.Sc. in Astrophysics
Until now, we got a look at Astronomy courses. Now let’s view the course’s details.
Complete Course Details
The course details include course duration, eligibility of the course, and syllabus for the course.
The duration for B.Sc. Astronomy and Astrophysics is 3 years whereas for B. Tech. Astronomy & Astrophysics it takes 4 years to complete the course. For Diploma & Online Courses, the duration might be 3 months to 1 year.
The eligibility criteria for Graduation, Diploma and Certificate courses is 10+2 with aggregate or 60% and Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as their basic stream. For P.G. courses, the eligibility criteria are graduation from any recognized university with an aggregate of 65%.
Syllabus of Astronomical Courses
The syllabus for all Astronomy Courses is probably same under various levels. All the courses of Astronomy deal with the study of Universe. So let’s go through some common subjects of Astronomy Courses.
- Astronomy In the era of Copernicus, Kepler, Galileo and Tyco
- Introduction to Electromagnetic Waves, Doppler Effect
- Measuring the size and Rotation Curve of Milky way.
- Neutron Stars, Super Novae and Black Holes
- Large Scale Structures of Universe
- Star Formation, Virial Therorem
- Thermal History of Universe
- Introduction to Astronomy etc.
Astronomy Colleges in India:
There are various colleges for Astronomy Colleges in India. Some of them are mentioned hereunder:
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), New Delhi
- Birla Institute of Fundamental Research, Bengaluru
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai
- Savitribai Phule University, Maharashtra
- Indian Center for Space Physics, Kolkata
- Raman Research Institute, Karnataka etc.
Now let’s look for the career prospects of the course.
Career with Astronomy Courses:
The career prospects for the course include the following fields:
The job specializations under Astronomy Course are:
- Research Scientist
The salary packages in this field may differ according to specialization or profession. The starting salary of an astronomer might be Rs.40,000/- per month.