The meaning of Demand Draft: Demand Draft (DD) is a negotiable instrument used for the transfer of money from one place to another and it cannot be transferred by a mere hand delivery. Demand Draft is issued by a bank. In this Two Parties Involved one is Drawer other one is Payee.
********Demand draft is valid for period of 3 months*********
A typical need for demand draft is seen in many situations. Just to illustrate consider a recent announcement for a job… “APPLICATION FEE (Non-Refundable): Rs.100/- (Rupees one hundred only) for each application. No fee is payable by SC/ST/PH candidates. Fee is payable by Demand Draft favoring Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and payable at……
Applications for jobs, examinations, admissions, services, high amount purchases, etc. require such demand drafts.
Types of Demand Draft
Content In This Article
Sight Demand Draft: The type of DD in which the payment is made only after the presentment of the specific documents at sight.
Time Demand Draft: The type of DD in which the payment is made only after the specified period.
Contents of a DD
- The branch of bank issuing the DD available at the top left
- To Pay: Who gets the amount specified in the DD
- Date of issue of DD (Validity period is 3 months)
- The amount payable to the party in words
- The amount payable to the party in figures
- The branch of bank which pays the amount available at the bottom
- DD number available at the bottom
- Signatures of the officers of branch issuing DD
Bank Charges for Creating a DD
Demand Draft is usually used for payment of school/college fees or govt related contracts and schemes. Banks take charges for issuing DD and hence if the amount involved is high then it leads to additional cost to the person who wants to have demand draft.
DD charges vary from as low as Rs. 0 to as high as Rs. 4.50 for every Rs. 1000 of the DD value (restricting to DD’s more than Rs. 10,000). Also, the DD cancellation fees ranges from Rs. 0 to Rs. 1000.
Public Bank Demand Draft Charges in Rs
|Bank of Baroda||20||20||35||35||35||35|
|Bank of India||25||40||35||50||35||50|
|Bank of Maharashtra||25||25||30||30||35||35|
|Central Bank of India||20||25||30||35||30||35|
|Indian Overseas Bank||9||11||14||17||18||22|
|Oriental Bank of Commerce||15||20||15||20||20||25|
|Punjab National Bank||30||40||30||40||30||40|
|Punjab & Sind Bank||25||25||25||25||25||25|
|State Bank of India||30||30||30||30||30||30|
|Union Bank of India||18.75||25||18.75||25||37.5||50|
|United Bank of India||17||22||28||39||34||51|
Private Bank Demand Draft Charges in Rs
|Axis Bank Limited||50||50||50||50||50||50|
|Catholic Syrian Bank||10||15||20||20||30||30|
|Federal Bank Ltd||25||25||25||25||25||25|
|The South Indian Bank Ltd||25||25||25||25||25||25|
|The Bank of Rajasthan Ltd||35||35||35||35||35||35|
|Kotak Mahindra Bank||40||50||40||50||40||50|
|ING Vysya Bank Limited||50||100||50||100||50||100|
|ICICI Bank Ltd||50||50||50||50||50||50|
|HDFC Bank Ltd||50||50||50||50||50||50|
|Karnataka Bank Ltd||12||15||22||25||25||30|
Foreign Bank Demand Draft Charges in Rs
|Standard Chartered Bank||50||50||50||50||50||50|
|Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank||15||15||25||25||40||40|
|ABN-AMRO Bank N.V||50||50||50||50||50||50|
|34 Citibank N.A||20||20||20||20||20||20|
|DBS India bank||550||550||550||550||550||550|
How to fill Demand Draft Offline
In order to issue in DD in any bank, you need to follow some procedure given below
- Visit your Bank Branch in your city
- Ask a DD Application form from the Customer Help Desk Counter
- If you have a Bank Account in that particular bank you just need to fill up the DD Form and tick mark on account payee or else you can carry the money in cash which can be used to make a demand Draft.
- You can collect your DD within 5 to 10 minutes.
How to make Demand Draft Online
First of all, you must have a bank account and enough balance in your account! Follow some procedure given below
- Login to Online Bank by using Internet Banking Username & Password
- Click on Payments/Transfers tab in top menu.
- Click on issue DD option under other payments/receipt
- Enter your profile password
- Click on submit
- Select the A/C Number which you want to use to make a DD and enter In Favor of, Purpose
- Then enter branch code, branch name, delivery mode
- Finally click on submit
- Your process is done successfully