CA CPT – Chartered Accountant (Common Proficiency Test) will be conducted by Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI). CA CPT is a common aptitude test that test the capabilities of the aspirants in the following four areas such as Accounting, Mercantile Laws, General Economics and Quantitative Aptitude. If a student cleared the CPT test then he/she will be eligible to write IPCC (Integrated Professional Competence Course) exam which is conducted in two sessions.CA CPT exam is usually held every year in the month of June
CA CPT – Eligibility Criteria
Content In This Article
- Candidates must have passed their 10th and 12th level qualifying examination from a recognised board of education or equivalent examination,
- Candidates must have registered with ICAI for CPC course.
- Candidates who have completed bachelor or master’s degree in commerce with at least 55% marks are exempted from appearing in CA CPT 2018.
- Candidates holding bachelor or master’s degree in stream other than commerce must have obtained at least 60% marks in aggregate of all subjects.
- Candidates holding UG/PG degree from Open University are also exempted from appearing in the entry level test.
CA CPT – Application Form
- Apply online at the official website of ICAI.
- ICAI begins the application form of CA CPT from the month of April.
|CA CPT Application Form||Last Date for registration|
|Starting date of Application form||April 4th 2018|
|Last date of Application(without any late fee)||April 26th 2018|
|Last date of Application(with any late fee of Rs 600/-)||May 3rd 2018|
- The application fee of CA CPT is different for different exam centres
- The application fee of CA CPT can be paid online through(VISA or MASTER Credit / Debit Card / Rupay Card / Net Banking).
CA CPT – Application Fee 2018
|Category||CA CPT Application Fee|
|For exam centres in India only||Rs 1000 /-|
|For exam centres in Kathmandu(Nepal)||Rs 1700 /-|
|For exam centres in Abu Dhabi,Doha,Dubai and Muscat||$300|
CA CPT Exam dates
CA CPT Exam will be conducted on June 17, 2018 in two sessions i.e., first session in the morning and second session in the afternoon.
CA CPT Exam Pattern
From(10.00 am-12.30 pm)
|A||Fundamentals of Accounting||40|
|Second Session(Afternoon) from(2.00 pm – 4.00 pm)||C||General Economics||50|
|Total (4 hrs)||4 Sections||–||200|
CA CPT – Syllabus 2018
CA CPT – Section A: Fundamentals of Accounting (60 Marks)
- Theoretical Framework
- Meaning and Scope of accounting
- Accounting Concepts, Principles, and Conventions
- Accounting Standards – concepts, objectives, benefits
- Accounting Policies
- Accounting as a measurement discipline – valuation principles, accounting estimates
- Accounting Process
- Books of Accounts leading to the preparation of Trial Balance, Capital and revenue expenditures, Capital and revenue receipts, Contingent assets and contingent liabilities, Fundamental errors including rectifications thereof.
- Bank Reconciliation Statement
The basis for inventory valuation and record keeping.
- Depreciation accounting
Methods, computation and accounting treatment of depreciation, Change in depreciation methods.
- Preparation of Final Accounts for Sole Proprietors
- Accounting for Special Transactions
- Joint Ventures
- Bills of exchange and promissory notes
- Sale of goods on approval or return basis.
- Partnership Accounts
Final accounts of partnership firms – Basic concepts of admission, retirement, and death of a partner including treatment of goodwill.
- Introduction to Company Accounts
An issue of shares and debentures, forfeiture of shares, re-issue of forfeited shares, the redemption of preference shares.
CA CPT – Section B: Mercantile Laws (40 Marks)
- The Indian Contract Act, 1872: An overview of Sections 1 to 75 covering the general nature of the contract, consideration, other essential elements of a valid contract, performance of a contract and breach of contract.
- The Sale of Goods Act, 1930: Formation of the contract of sale – Conditions and Warranties – Transfer of ownership and delivery of goods – Unpaid seller and his rights.
- The India Partnership Act, 1932: General Nature of Partnership – Rights, and duties of partners –Registration and dissolution of a firm.
SESSION – II
(Two Sections– Two hours – 100 Marks)
CA CPT – Section C: General Economics (50 Marks)
(I) Micro Economics
- Introduction to Micro Economics
- Definition, scope, and nature of Economics
- Methods of economic study
- The Central problems of an economy and Production possibilities curve.
- Theory of Demand and Supply
- Meaning and determinants of demand, Law of demand and Elasticity of demand ─ Price, income and cross elasticity
- Theory of consumer ’s behaviour – Marshall Ian approach and Indifference curve approach
- Meaning and determinants of supply, Law of supply and Elasticity of supply.
- Theory of Production and Cost
- Meaning and Factors of production
- Laws of Production – The Law of variable proportions and Laws of returns to scale
- Concepts of Costs ─ Short-run and long-run costs, Average and marginal costs, Total, fixed and variable costs.
- Price Determination in Different Markets
- Various forms of markets – Perfect Competition, Monopoly, Monopolistic Competition and Oligopoly
- Price determination in these markets.
(II) Indian Economic Development
- Indian Economy – A Profile
- Nature of the Indian Economy
- Role of different sectors – Agriculture, Industry, and Services in the development of the Indian economy, their problems and growth
- National Income of India – Concepts of national income, Different methods of measuring national income, Growth of national income and per capita income in various plans.
- Basic understanding of tax system of India – Direct and Indirect Taxation
- Select Aspects of Indian Economy
- Population – Its size, rate of growth and its implication for growth
- Poverty – Absolute and relative poverty and main programs for poverty alleviation
- Unemployment – Types, causes, and incidence of unemployment
- Infrastructure ─ Energy, Transportation, Communication, Health and Education
- Budget and Fiscal deficits
- Balance of payments
- External debts.
- Economic Reforms in India
- Features of economic reforms since 1991
- Liberalization, Privatization, and Disinvestment
- Money and Banking
- Money – Meaning and functions
- Commercial Banks – Role and functions
- Reserve Bank of India – Role, and functions, monetary policy.
CA CPT – Section D: Quantitative Aptitude (50 Marks)
- Ratio and proportion, Indices, Logarithms
Linear – simultaneous linear equations up to three variables, quadratic and cubic equations in one variable, equations of a straight line, intersection of straight lines, graphical solution of linear equations.
Graphs of inequalities in two variables ─ common region.
- Simple and Compound Interest including annuity ─ Applications
- Basic concepts of Permutations and Combinations
- Sequence and Series – Arithmetic and geometric progressions
- Sets, Functions, and Relations
- Limits and Continuity ─ Intuitive Approach
- Basic concepts of Differential and Integral Calculus (excluding trigonometric functions)
- Statistical description of data
- Textual, Tabular & Diagrammatic representation of data.
- Frequency Distribution.
- Graphical representation of frequency distribution – Histogram, Frequency Polygon, Ogive
- Measures of Central Tendency and Dispersion
Arithmetic Mean, Median – Partition Values, Mode, Geometric Mean and Harmonic, Mean, Standard deviation, Quartile deviation
- Correlation and Regression
- Probability and Expected Value by Mathematical Expectation
- Theoretical Distributions
Binomial, Poisson and Normal.
- Sampling Theory
Basic Principles of sampling theory, Comparison between sample survey and complete enumeration, Errors in sample surveys, some important terms associated with sampling, Types of sampling, Theory of estimation, Determination of sample size.
- Index Numbers
CA CPT Admit Card 2018
The CA CPT Admit Card is available online through ICAI i.e., on icai.org .The candiadtes who have successfully registered can download it by submitting the Login ID and Password.It is very important to carry the admit card to the exam hall.You are not allowed to write the exam without the CA CPT admit card.